5 THINGS YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT AQUATIC ECOLOGY
Things to know about Aquatic Ecology
Aquatic ecology as suggested by the name is the study not only of the living things in water bodies, but also the relationship between these living things to each other and to their environment. One of the major technical terms used in this scientific study is Ecosystem. Ecosystems being the interrelationship of organisms within a given area, it therefore, aquatic ecology therefore, can be termed in other words as the study of water ecosystems. In order to understand aquatic ecology deeply, it is key to familiarize ourselves with five major components of aquatic ecology.
– Aquatic ecology is divided into freshwater ecology and marine ecology.
– Aquatic ecology is concerned with the effect of human and aquatic interaction.
– Aquatic plants and their significance.
– Varied field of study under aquatic ecology.
– How to enroll in aquatic ecology.
Aquatic ecology is divided into freshwater ecology and marine ecology
– It is unquestionable that water plays an important role in lives of everything that possesses life, it is therefore crucial to understand the aquatic ecology, after all a better part of the earth is covered by water.
Freshwater Ecology – This is the study that involves water bodies like rivers, streams, underground water, lakes, and their environs.
Marine Ecology – This aquatic ecology concentrates on oceans.
Aquatic Ecology is concerned with the effect of Human and aquatic Interaction
– It has always been a concern of ecologist that human and aquatic ecosystem has conflicted. The impacts of human activities on aquatic ecosystem either intentional or unintentional jeopardize their existence. Some of the most conspicuous ones include:
Oil Spills – This is the draining of oil and other related petroleum products, especially the coast of Africa through ships. The adverse effect is layers of oil that reduce oxygen concentration in water and consequently killing aquatic organisms.
Agricultural runoff in Lakes and Streams – Big amounts of water used in whatever activities finally drains into oceans. A lot of fertilizers used in agriculture ends up hurting the aquatic ecosystems, this kind of problems are widely experienced in Africa.
Aquatic plants and their significance
– Aquatic plants are a balancing component of the aquatic ecosystems. With their inevitable presence in the aquatic ecosystems, they play a crucial role in the existence and maintenance of this ecosystem. These plants provide food to the aquatic animals, habitat, and through photosynthesis, they provide remove carbon dioxide and produce oxygen. Aquatic plants produce food for a number of consumers like microscopic organisms, fish, mammals, and sometimes human beings.
Varied fields to study under Aquatic Ecology
– If you contemplated on applying for a scholarship and study aquatic ecology and run out of options on what to specialize on, then you have a full plate of options to choose from. General trend is that one of people going into this field by doing a degree in Ecology. In postgraduate levels or others still undergraduate depending on the university or collage, others specialize in one of these:
– Environmental preservation.
– Commercial uses of aquatic resources.
– History of Water use.
– Water use policy and water conservation.
How enroll in aquatic ecology.
The most fundamental thing not only in aquatic ecology but also in all other disciplines is the passion and interest a scholar puts in them. Before going into aquatic ecology you must develop an interest in aquatic ecology careers. Completion of High school Education and applying for scholarships is first step but while still in high school you should pay keen attention to Science disciplines like Biology and Chemistry because these are the chief in aquatic ecology.