The following diseases are quite prone in my areas;
- East Cost Fever – I usually use Bupervex, Diminazene, and Adamycin
- Milk Fever- I inject Calciject and give the cow a higher ratio of minerals especially calcium.
- Mastitis, which is rare – I use Terrexine tubes and if severe I inject Gentamycin.
- Pneumonia – I inject Penstrep and Bimahistamine.
- Eye infections – I use Opticlox.
- Injuries/Wounds due to cuts, bite etc – I inject Penstrep and Alamycin aerosal spray.
To control ticks, fleas and flies, I spray Sypertix after every two weeks.
A properly feed heifer should be served between 12 to 18 months for Holstein Friesian cows. After calving, a cow may be served approximately two months after calving..
I rely on Artificial Insemination (AI) service as I can be supplied with full information on the merit of the semen. Artificial insemination (AI) – a method where bull semen is introduced in to the cow’s uterus artificially using a tube. Pedigree semen imported from Europe and USA can be very expensive but ministries of livestock and agriculture in various African countries have departments that provide relatively cheaper AI services.
I deworm my calves every month for the first six months and then every two months for up to one year.
For heifers and adult dairy cows, I deworm after every months. I usually alternate between, Albendazole (e.g. Duotech, Valbazen), Levamisole and Oxyclozanide (e.g. Levafas extra, Nilzan Super) based drugs.
In between the deworming period, I inject anti-nematodes drugs like Closamectin, Trodax and Ivermectin. N/B This inject is strictly subcutaneous (between the muscles and the skin and around the neck area).
The following are items sold from my farm;
- Milk – Am currently selling a litre of milk at Kshs 30.
- Hay – One bale of hay is selling at Kshs 250.
- Manure – One ton of manure is selling at Kshs 3000.
- Dairy cows – One dairy cow is Kshs 120,000.
Read more about my dairy farm and how I’m handling Insemination and De-worming, and Sales
- bupervex for cattle
- Duotech dewormer
- bupervex in zimbabwe
- can an inseminated cow be dewormed
- deworming cattle with levafas extra
- Drugs to deworm calves in Kenya
- How long should a cow inseminated take so as to be dewormed
- the effects of dewormer on artificial insemination